Thursday, November 13, 2008

Locked In My Mind

"How 'bout the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away...
with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle."
-Tenacious D

Ever since I first read about presbycusis, testing myself with The Mosquito Tone Audibility Test on my birthday has become something of a tradition.

I'm not exactly worried about getting older as much as I'm worried about my mind and body decomposing while I'm still using them. An inevitable fact I like to ignore by setting these benchmarks.
The day these frequencies no longer register, I will be forced to admit to myself that I have begun to breakdown into simpler constituents.

And apparently this decline is certain become inescapable in another way at age 40, when the myelin -your brain's bandwidth according to Dr. George Bartzokis- begins to unravel and is no longer repaired as often as is should (or could) be, thus bringing us forward into the years of a mental dial-up connection.

Meanwhile, as much as I like to capriciously complain about personal decay, there are other people with real problems that overcome them in the most technologically fascinating and inspirational ways.

Neuroscientist Scott Mackler discovered, at the age of 40, he had ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease.
This did not stop him.
Despite being trapped in his body, he is able to continue to communicate and work via telekinesis (via computers). Personally, I imagine using the absolute deficiency in controlling any of my body's appendages whatsoever as an excuse to never have to work again, however this man is bloody determined.

There's a 60 minutes video here that covers just how amazing his situation has turned out.

On a sci-fi note, we're one step closer to robot bodies or uploading our consciousness into computers.

No comments: