Thursday, August 14, 2008

There Will Come Soft Rains

I don't like the song "It's a small World."
Aside from it being an irritating assemblage of notes and high-pitched lyrics, it contains a message I don't necessarily agree with.
The surface area of the globe we cruise around the solar system on is 510,072,000 km² with 29.2% of that being land. Perhaps a more accurate lyric would be that 'it's a small percentage of land we humans can inhabit after all.'
So what's my problem?
When I drop my keys in a dark parking lot somehow the world seems like a rather large place… Or better, if I’m feeling lackadaisical on a day I run out of yogurt and have to make a trip to the store, the world once again feels like a very large place.
However, when I search the planet (and by "planet" I mean the Internet) for rationale thinking and signs of social improvement, suddenly the world starts to seem very, very small.
There’s book banning, albeit rather amusing in an ironic sense, censoring of comics, armed patrol keeping you in twos, seemingly harmless dubious behavior, and the obnoxiously extolled.

And leaving the planet isn't an option.

Now it's an old tale that the world isn’t perfect, and I’ll admit I prefer this time period to any of the previous ones, however, I have to wonder if this is the best humanity can be.

No comments: